Thursday 10 May 2012

Back to school

It's official. I'm going back to school! Alhamdulillah, finally my application was approved and I will soon embark on that journey, again! I can still remember registering for my undergrad courses in 1993...and now, nearly twenty years later, after 14 years of marriage and 5 children, I've been given the opportunity to rediscover myself and seek more knowledge.

Yes, some have actually asked me why now, why do I need to do it etc. In the beginning, those questions did play around in my mind, but only momentarily. I find it hard to explain. The thing I know is that I feel as if I owe it to myself to enhance my knowledge, a sort-of "upgrade" for someone like me who has been out of the "career" loop and academics for some time.

Most of all, I think there is no really "best" time for it. Yes, the children still need me, in fact they will continue to need me even more, but in a different way. Attachment is less of an issue for most of the 5, and InshaAllah two Sundays a month of not having Umm around probably won't do too much harm. InshaAllah I've sought Allah's guidance in this matter and it has been made clear that this is the "right" time, if there is such a thing.

Yes, sacrifices have to be made; time, energy and maybe some leisure family time. InshaAllah the kids (at least the older 3) understand why this has come about now. Yes, InshaAllah we can do'a that it'll be a smooth-sailing journey for all in the family, but of course there is no guarantee. Alhamdulillah for the family and friends who constantly support our family in the good or not-so-great times. InshaAllah my back-to-school journey will be an eye-opener and will be something to cherish. I know now that the strive to garner more knowledge has not been diminished from me after all these years....

No comments:

Post a Comment