Saturday 10 March 2012

Pain of Motherhood


No, this is not about emotional or mental pain, but actual, physical pain. Many of us go through life experiencing some sort of pain, be it naturally or induced. I haven't been spared either. I’ve always been told by medical and non-medical persons alike that perhaps my pain threshold was much higher than others…maybe. After 8 pregnancies, 3 natural childbirths, 3 miscarriages, 2 Caesarean sections, the many months (in total) of hospitalisation and 5 lovely children later in 13 years, I tended to believe it.

Just by being allergic to aspirin and unable to take high doses of paracetamol means that I cannot randomly take them without suffering some adverse side-effect(s). Post-caesarean section surgery meant also that I had to take the lowest dose possible of oral pain-killers instead of the recommended 3 doses of morphine usually given. Yes, it was a lot of pain to endure and Alhamdulillah, I managed.

Let’s not go into the pain management issues. I’ve too many stories to tell! But then I endured a pain that I could not understand, though still bear, could not pin-point, but persisted for months. It was a numbing sort of pain, originating from my lower back, along the spinal column, gravitating towards the shoulder blades and leading to stiffness along the neck and numbness along the arms.
I was alarmed. It hindered my normal mobility somewhat. It made me experience soreness and headaches and made me lose a lot of muscle strength. What was worse, I had to really strain to carry around my 14 month old baby! I think the turning point was when I felt so bad that I couldn’t even turn my head sideways, not to mention the constant and persistent headaches!

I was practically stumbling around trying to tolerate the pain for weeks, going through everyday routine of chauffeuring my kids around on top of the regular housework. I went to see different GPs twice but all they could give me were more pain-killers. I took nothing to ease the pain, firstly because I was concerned with the side-effect, and secondly because I was still breastfeeding my baby. I then decided to try something else. I went to a chiropractor, although at that time I was a little skeptical. At the same time I searched online for something, a product for long-term use as a means of supporting my structure, particularly my lower back.

At the chiropractor’s, I was diagnosed as having idiopathic scoliosis along the upper vertebrae and a few rotated vertebrae along the lower column. The one thing I can remember was the chiropractor saying, “No wonder you were in a lot of pain!” Treatment included but not limited to, spinal correction (through various tools at the chiropractor’s clinic), stretching and traction as well as more stretching exercises, the use of Epsom salt and warm compressors at home. I definitely felt much better but not completely. I still had many more follow-ups to go to, but due to time constraints, I decided to discontinue going to the chiropractor. The chiropractor did, however, caution me to be careful with my posture and the way I lifted things and my baby, because it could pose more damage. Then I decided that I had to use some form of support. It became crucial that I would not make any sudden movement that would land me in pain, again. That’s when I turned to this product, the Premium Beautiful set.

I discovered it when I was surfing the net and although a few of my friends were already using it, I didn't actually get around to talking to them about it. I decided then to find out more and thankfully, Alhamdulillah, I had someone respond to my “call for help”. She was helpful and assured me that I could try the product and feel the difference myself.

Suffice to say that I’ve been using the product for almost a month now and I definitely feel the difference, a marked improvement in my overall condition. I no longer feel the strain when I’m lifting my baby (and even my nearly 3-year old!), I can feel the support it gives to my lower back and posture and I definitely feel that it has given me a new overall perspective on “pain management”. I should not have tolerated that much pain for that long, it was just not natural! Alhamdulillah and InshaAllah, I will be able to use this product anytime, anywhere and for as long as I desire. It has improved my quality of life especially in relation to my overall mobility and posture. My back is pain- free! Not to mention it has done wonders for my “wobbly bits” and doesn't interfere with breastfeeding too!

 I’m particularly happy with how the Premium Beautiful set has helped me and I can’t wait to share this with family and friends. Sharing is caring. Now I know I need to take care of myself too, not just of my loved ones. Thank you Salha Mohd Zain and Zatilfarihiah Rasdi. I hope to share your enthusiasm about the Premium Beautiful….

1 comment:

  1. Sentiasa dgr produk ini sgt bagus but never try...

    ReplyDelete